Take the Fair Luxury Pledge
Jewellery is bought, displayed and passed on as a token of love, a reflection of our personalities or as means of communicating power and wealth. Though beautiful and sparkly on the surface, sadly jewellery is often tarnished by its journey into fruition, via supply chains that harbour social injustice and perpetuate environmental destruction.
We know that when jewellery is produced responsibly it can provide sustainable livelihoods for all involved – from the miners of raw materials right through the supply chain to the ultimate designer or retailer of the finished piece.
As individual designers, makers, traders and educators we’ve pledged to make changes and business decisions that are driven by more than just profit. In every aspect of our work we seek to ensure that we are achieving and maintaining a safe, sustainable and just industry for all. We dream of one day casting our minds back and feeling proud to place ourselves at the core of the revolution that transformed the jewellery trade for good.
We are each at a different stage in our journey towards responsible business, but we are all working on it. No matter how big or small, our collective actions will change the world. Will you join the movement?
The Fair Luxury Pledge
Through the jewellery we create and the ways we run our businesses, those who make the Fair Luxury Pledge each promise to:
- Conserve and restore the environment
- Work in a way that is responsible, transparent and accountable
- Play a role in educating and empowering others
Now, it’s your turn. Wondering how to take it from here? It’s simple:
1. Write down your 12-month plan of action. Which tangible steps will you take within the next year? Big or small, your measures should aim towards reducing collective impact on the environment, supporting the people that you connect with and creating a more equitable world for all. You could start by vowing simply to ensure that all your office waste is recycled responsibly, or take the plunge and commit to only sourcing artisanal and small-scale gold from now on. For some quick tips, check out our posts here or our Ethical Making Resource.
2. Share your plan with us in our Pledge forum on Facebook; then we’ll publish it on our website and social media platforms. Alternatively, leave your name and email address in the form here, along with a couple of sentences about who you are and your reasons for making the Pledge.
3. Download the Fair Luxury Pledge badge to share with your website visitors and social media followers. (Click here for the pledge badge) If you have the time, why not create a page on your website dedicated to explaining your pledge?
4. Encourage a jewellery friend to join the movement.
5. Sign up to our mailing list and keep an eye out for email updates about our webinars and events!